Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:30:58 EDT
Undoubtedly, slavery was, or should have been, a harrowing experience for
the slaves as their collective experience is generally taught.

However, we know from the WPA interviews that some looked upon it with
nostalgia later in life under freedom, and some indicated that life was better
under slavery than under freedom.  Some Black slaves and freemen apparently
fought for their "suppressors" during the War.  In addition, Black slaves
reproduced in exceedingly large numbers while "under the scourge of  slavery."

To me, this doesn't add up in the context of Southern slavery being Hell on
earth, as it is traditionally characterized?

The characterizations that these poor unfortunate Black folk who were
interviewed by WPA workers later in life were
untruthful/delirious/insane/senile/illusory or outright fearful of telling  the truth also doesn't add up.  Where
is the support for that theory?

I think you have to take them at their word, pro and con, unless there is
empirical evidence to rebut their opinions as expressed in many of the WPA
interviews.  I haven't heard anything empirical as yet, just speculation in  this
chain.

J South