From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 2007 16:49:09 -0500
Perhaps someone here could clear up something for me. When a colonist
in early Virginia paid to transport new colonists (I'm not talking
about indentured servants), did the person paying the passage get the
50 acres per transportee, did the new colonist get 50 acres, or did
they each get 50 acres? I have read sources that indicated they both
did, but then there has been a source or two that indicates only the
new arrival was given 50 acres, but the person who paid passage often
took it or was given it. But if that was the case, other than
transporting people to work for them, or bringing over family
members, I see little advantage in a settled colonists paying to
bring over other people. My own ancestor got 550 acres for
transporting 11 colonists, land that was centered in what is now Nine
Mile Road and Masonic Lane in Richmond.

Were these transportees usually family and/or neighbors from back in
England?

thanks,

Nancy
-------