Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 10:19:30 -0500
The following question was posed today on another list, dealing with a particular work of musical
theatre:

>     That was a more obvious problem, but then, how many things *can*
>you rhyme *exactly* with "Virginia"?  They wrote themselves into a
>hole on that one.

The rhyme being critiqued was "Virginia" and "America."  So, I'm posing the question to this learned
list.  What English words can you rhyme exactly with "Virginia" when it is pronounced with "ia" as
"ee-a" (and not as "ya").  (Not interested in whether this WAS the proper pronunciation.  It was
done that way throughout the entire show, so had to be that way in this song.) No slang or foreign
words, please, unless they were in popular use in the colonial era (because of the context of this
particular show) and would also be understood by the masses in the second half of the 20th century.

Since this is a bit off-topic for VA-HIST, please reply privately. I'll post the compiled results
back to the list for any poets, songwriters or punsters who might find it useful. <G>

Thanks!
Rosanna Bencoach