From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:13:55 -0500
  I see your point, but imagine focusing on a single individual to prove a
point about mass consciousness at any other time or place in history:
Napoleon, David Lloyd George, Lenin, Indira Gandhi, Emiliano
Zapata, or Abraham Lincoln.  If R.E. Lee's decision is fully
indicative of white southerners' sense of allegiance, what then of
George H. Thomas of Southampton County, Virginia?
  There is no question that the standard historiography of the 19th
century agrees with the position you have stated.  I am taking aim
and that consensus, not at you personally.
  For starters, I will argue (with Thomas Jefferson in Notes on
Virginia) that slaves claimed any other country but their own.
Hence, they were almost by definition anti-Virginia, until Virginia
was reformed under Reconstruction.  My question to the list is, can
we consider what 40% of antebellum Virginia's population
considered their "country" while assessing these questions of
loyalty, legitimacy, etc?