From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:01:40 -0400
Egad, what a hornets nest :))  A couple of points.

#1 - A lighter note.  My great grandmother (who died before I knew her) was
9 years old when Sherman came through Milledgville, GA on the way to the
sea.  She rememberd two things:

    - His troops could not catch the guinea hens to cook them -- I
understand they are FAST chickens
    - They poured molassases down the organ pipes of the Epicsopal Church.

#2 - Patton.  I don't know where George S. Patton grew up but his family
roots are in Winchester, Virginia.  Two Patton brothers are buried in the
Confederate Cemetery in Winchester.  He attended one year at Virginia
Military Institute (may have been in George C. Marshall's class, but I
forget), then went on to West Point where he graduated.  I believe at one
point (1939-1941) he was stationed at Ft. McPherson, Georgia where he
commanded the Third Army.

Randy Cabell