From:
Tom Apple <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:29:53 -0230
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:22:09 EDT, Janet Hunter wrote
> Jon and Everyone...
>
> Thank you for posting that item.  For some time I've been intending
> to ask what the phrase "complete armor" comprises from the 1623/4
> census/muster.

"Armor Complete" is probable referring to what is known as 3/4 suit of armor
which would cover all but the lower legs and feet. It was a common cavalry
configuration at that time.

> What various items comprised "complete armor".  Thomas' only other
> check mark on the armor columns was for shot.  Would it include a
> sword, mail, a plate such as was referred to in the new article, etc.?

No sword or mail, the armor complete would comprise a back and breast plate
(cuirass), gorget, arm coverings (pauldrons, couters, vambraces, etc.), and
upper leg armor to the knees.

> > The piece of armor, weighing an estimated 175 pounds, was discovered
> > Friday during excavation of a trash pit. The piece appears to date back to
> > the settlement's early years, before 1610, Straube said.

The Va. Dept. of Historical Resources has a nice one of these from Jourdan's
Journey (I think). I would hazard a guess that 175 lbs is the current
encrusted weight and not the actual weight when it was in use, probably more
like 60-70 lbs.

> > With other types of armor, an arrow could bounce off and hit someone
> > nearby, Straube said.

I have the greatest respect for Bly Straube, but I doubt that arrow ricochets
were much of a problem.

Best Regards,

Tom Apple