From:
Karen Needles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2013 23:14:22 -0400
U.S. Libraries and Archives need to take a look at the British Archives.
Once digitized and placed online, people can purchase a copy for $1 or
$1.50 per page.  There are different ways to collect revenue.  If you
charge a decent price, they will purchase online and you won't see the
number of folk bringing their digital cameras and scanners.  Keep the price
decent, make sure the images are minimum 300 dpi, put a watermark on the
document or photo, for personal use.  If they want to use for publication,
then charge $35 per page with proper citation.
With gas prices, travel and lodging is just not an option for a lot of
folk.  So that means that these facilities need to make digitizing their
priority, making it available, and being able to draw revenue, at the same
time.
Karen