From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:19:12 -0400
I need some help from somebody out there probably associated with Colonial Williamsburg. I am in the final stages of putting together (what has turned out to be another larger-than-I-planned project) MARTIAL MUSIC IN THE AGE OF LEWIS AND CLARK. (Several of you wrote me about my preliminary notice (#1) on VA-HIST, and are probably chomping at the bit in anticipation of its publication :))

In addition to the 26 selections that I have arranged for the Military Band of the Day, (2 clarinets, 2 natural horns, serpent horn + percussion), I have put in about 8 pages of background notes on the music and instruments.

My desire. I would like to use some line drawings from an old (ca. 1960s or early 1970s I think) LP that I have of the Band of Musick and Fifes and Drums of Colonial Williamsburg. They are simple drawings and will reproduce well in black and white copies. There is absolutely no date or copyright notation on the record jacket or the record anywhere. So in the spirit of the copyright laws in place in the 1960s-1970's, I assume that legally I can use six or seven of the drawings, with no fear of authorities siccing giant mastiffs on me. But I do not want to step on anybody's toes, particularly those of fellow Virginians. I have already given attribution to the record in my text, and shall be more than happy to also give thanks for the drawings.

Any suggestions?

Randy Cabell

Boyce, Virginia