From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 20:30:46 -0400
Herb,

I fail to see how a "debate" is going to solve anything. Only the most
modern DNA testing available can produce the kind of evidence that will
convince you and others of what the circumstantial evidence already points
to.

If, as you say, the descendents of Madison Hemings agreed orally to a
exhumation and testing, but then balked when faced with signing the papers
to allow it, we would need to look into what reasons were brought up on the
document that were not discussed in the oral agreement. Rather than blast
them for making a decision based on their own preferences, it would be
better to find out what the stumbling block REALLY is instead of conjuring
up possibilities in you own mind and putting them into their mouths. This
displays great disrespect on your part, and tends to conjur up the
suppositions that even when the evidence is presented to you, you will find
some excuse not to accept it. Perhaps, instead of accusing them of some
nefarious reason to refuse, you should be assuring them that you welcome the
knowledge that they are part of the family, and address the issues that are
causing them to refuse, after you ascertain what they are.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org