From:
"Peter V. Bergstrom" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 08:27:41 -0500
Walter did work on one version of the Naval Office microfilm, but it can also be
found in the Virginia Colonial Records Project at the Library of Virginia, UVa,
and Colonial Williamsburg.

While there are some Virginia lists from the years 1698-1705, you don't get very
good coverage until 1726 and continuing to about 1771.  There is a fairly
extensive analysis of the lists and their data in my book which was previously
mentioned.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of statistical data for the 17th century.
Probably the records of the customs collectors in the various British ports are
the most complete, but when I say "most" it is still a matter of degree.  There
are lots of gaps and they only focus on the goods that carried export duties.
Virginia and Maryland are usually lumped together to further complicate things.

My book by the way was also published by Garland in 1985.

Peter V. Bergstrom, PhD
Independent historian,
PC Services Consultant & Web Designer
336-286-8654