From:
Brenda Hare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2013 09:02:07 -0500
Sometimes laws that are in place in regards to treatment of cemeteries
doesn't stop people from doing whatever they are going to do.  I'm obviously
not an attorney, but there may be some distinction between a "public"
cemetery and a "private" cemetery, or at least in the eyes of the law.

I say this because a private cemetery that I know of in Ohio was plowed over
without the bodies being removed first.  There was a private cemetery not
far from an old homestead.  The farm was purchased by a neighbor, followed
by the house being taken down and the family cemetery being plowed over.
Corn now is growing where the house used to stand, and over the bodies of
the family.

This has happened to a Revolutionary War patriot and his wife.  He is the
brother of my ancestor, another Revolutionary War patriot.  I have contacted
the locals, only to be told that it's a private cemetery, and thus not
covered by the same laws as private cemeteries.

Brenda