From:
Walter Waddell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2005 18:02:52 -0400
Good idea. Let's start it. I have contacted my Delegate and Senator asking
that they be in tune to any corporate sponsorship that might come their way.
I stand ready to subscribe (not via the internet - I don't do credit card
transactions over the internet) to the magazine -- should it begin again as
an eMail edition, newspaper edition, or the soft copy edition that was
murdered, with cause or without, by our "leadership". I'm a nobody with no
influence other than to make others of influence "mad" enough at me to show
me up by getting something done. I loved the work that was done and
presented to me in such a wonderful form. I loved the lore that was unfolded
to me therein. I shall so state again: I'm disappointed in you Virginia
historians - so proud of birthright. If the Commonwealth of Virginia cannot
or wont sustain the program, are you so tied to government doing it for you,
that you are now incapable of doing it on your own? It's not always the
nice, saying the nice that serves you best!

Here's an observation: The Legislature makes me throw a lot of my money at
our higher institutions. No doubt my ramblings herein are being viewed by
recognized, gifted intellects closely associated with those institutions.
What do I get for my money other than "rooting" for a bunch of skilled and
graceful "jocks" from New Jersey, Newark, and New York with pituitary
conditions and little hope of ever winning a Nobel prize: performing in an
activity that has little or no relevance to higher education and a lot of
relevance to private ownership. How about something that interests me in
return.

Don't reply: My challenge is out there. Bring others to the field of battle
and call my bluff. Do something to restore a valuable Commonwealth of
Virginia program of honor and worth. Virginia doesn't need words -- it needs
action.