From:
Jurretta Heckscher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:30:47 -0400
An interesting inquiry!

As you know, slave marriages had no standing in Virginia law, and
forced marital separations were common through sale and household
migrations as well as the domestic slave trade (which was flourishing
in 1855).  I have come across one or two tragic cases where a couple
was separated by the domestic trade and/or household migration to the
Deep South, but the new owner then came back to Virginia and the
individual who'd been sold discovered that his/her spouse had
remarried in the meantime (understandably enough--there was no reason
to suppose the separated partners would ever see each other again).

Nevertheless, and despite the fact that polygyny was almost certainly
the ideal (though not necessarily the norm) in most of the ancestral
cultures of Virginia's slaves, polygyny (or simultaneous multiple
marriage of any kind) was not typical of Virginia slave families.

For an excellent introduction to (relatively) recent research on
family structure under slavery and an important reconsideration of
some assumptions about the topic, I'd suggest looking at Brenda E.
Stevenson, Life in Black and White: Family and Community in the Slave
South (New York: Oxford University Press, 1996; Library of Congress
call number HN79.V82 L687 1996; publisher description, http://www.loc.gov/catdir/enhancements/fy0639/95017359-d.html)
.   The vague title notwithstanding, Stevenson's focus is Virginia,
particularly Loudoun County.

--Jurretta Heckscher