From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2007 12:38:59 -0400
Are these historic definitions/usages, or modern? And I will admit to
not having made much of a study of anything but the early iron industry.

The Virginia colony was a "plantation". So when Lord de la Ware wrote
a pamphlet/book in 1610 it was entitled:

A True and Sincere declaration of the purpose and ends of the
Plantation begun in Virginia...

Just as Sir Francis Bacon;s publication (1625) was called "Of
Plantations".

The British "Colonial Office" was called "The Commisioners for Trade
and Plantations". the use of "plantation" as a synonym for colony
extended well into the 1700s.

Hall, F
1731 The Importance of the British plantations in America to this
Kingdom: with the state of their trade, and methods for improving it,
as also a description of the several colonies there. J. Peele, London.

James Brothers