Date:
Thu, 15 May 2008 16:34:28 -0400
Mr. Southmayd has been abrasive, sarcastic, and provocative.  But that should not disqualify him from speaking, nor from expressing his opinions.

He performs a very useful function on this board, by reminding us of the spectrum of views on Virginia history that exist in our country, and to which no small number of people subscribe.  I do not expect to convince him of what I hold to be the truth on many topics--but it is very salutary indeed to be reminded that when we proffer our opinions and professional judgments, there will be people like Mr. Southmayd with whom we will (at least as public historians) need to engage.

I disagree profoundly with the people here who have spoken out in favor of silencing Mr. Southmayd.  I would like to remind everyone here of the words of Thomas Jefferson, in his first inaugural address:

"If there be any among us who would wish to dissolve this Union or to change its republican form, let them stand undisturbed as monuments of the safety with which error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it."

To favor censoring Mr. Southmayd, as some here have proposed, is to break faith with Jefferson, and to express real doubt at the capacity of average Americans to arrive at rational conclusions.

I truly do hope that all of those who have spoken in favor of censorship will reconsider their judgment.

All best,
Kevin
Kevin R. Hardwick, Ph.D.
Department of History