From:
"S. Corneliussen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2008 12:47:11 -0400
It seems to me that you have a Jeffersonian faith not only in the
inevitability of future science, but in the inevitability of its wise
application. Maybe you're right.

Meanwhile, in schools and in the media, people are regularly assured that
historians now know for certain that Sally Hemings and TJ were parents
together. And maybe they were. (Certainly, as Prof. Finkelman and others
emphasize, there's a notable consanguinity of some sort here in any case.)

But I'd find less reason for pause in certain historians' confident
certitude if I had more faith in the handling of the science that's been
invoked already.

True, the misreporting of valid DNA evidence and the outright misuse of
statistical science originated among people representing science, not the
history profession, though credulous historians unskeptically accepted the
statistical stuff.

It all makes me wonder whether things would improve if there's a next time
for science in this discussion.

Steven T. Corneliussen