From:
Michael Nicholls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:29:23 -0700
I have a puzzle--well actually many, but may I inflict one on those
who know Richmond circa 1800? Of the 25 Henrico executions in the
aftermath of Gabriel 18 were at the "usual place of execution. After
15 of these executions 13 men petitioned to have the site of
execution moved, but apparently to  no avail, though their petition
did unintentially delay the execution of two men and a final
pardoning of a third. In 1804 the city agreed to work with the county
in creating a gallows near the magazine, which was probably up
Shockoe a bit, near the gallows and African American cemetery that
shows up on Young's map of Richmond ca 1809. However, it does not
appear that the 13 petitioners whose families were disturbed by the
sight of the executions lived where they might look into Shockoe and
see the gallows. Samuel Mordecai in Richmond in by-gone days 2nd ed.
p. 97-98 describes John Harvie's mansion on Gamble's Hill overlooking
the armory and says "The house was planned by Mr. Latrobe, the
architect of its neighbor, the Penitentiary; the intermediate ground
embraced Gallows hill, the edifice on which was rendered in a great
measure useless by the Penitentiary..." A gallows there would have
been more in sight of the petitioners. Have I just mistakenly assumed
the site of the executions in Richmond was always in Shockoe, or is
this something that is a puzzle to me only--I would appreciate any
hard knowledge specific to 1800--Mick Nicholls