From:
Jim Huffaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:00:36 -0500
Sir: A chart  I have shows Kentucky (State),  Washington and Montgomery
Counties, VA were formed from Fincastle County in 1777. My earliest proven
ancestor came into (now) Washington Co., VA in 1768 down the Shenandoah and
a local historian for the County claimed he was probably the first permanent
resident of the area. King George disallowed settlements west of the
mountains then and those who settled anyway were in defiance and those who
settled in the extreme SW VA were also in great danger from Indians.
Nevertheless Washington County's population grew rapidly such that by 1772 a
petition for Reverend Cummings was signed by enough to support a Church and
by 1780 the population was large enough to be able to send an army of about
900 men to Kings Mountain to fight the British.
The Washington County Property Tax list of 1782 is quite lengthy
 I think a westward penetration of the mountains was also possible at Front
Royal and Fort Chiswell.