From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 12:40:12 EDT
Hello Everyone,

The discussion of books and Cabells reminded me that I recently came across a
website that might be of interest when trying to ascertain where the Fluvanna
River was as it appeared on some land patents (answer the James River west of
a point I can't remember but somewhere around Louisa Co I think).

Every year there is a several day event called the James River Batteau
Festival, which starts at Lynchburg on June 15 and ends June 23 at Maiden's
Adventure which appears on the maps at their website to be in Powhatan Co,
just to the east of the point where Route 522 crosses the James (and within
about 2 to 4 miles of where my Baugh ancestors lived there).

They have a website here:  http://www.batteau.org/index.html

If you scroll down the page you will find a history link, which mentions the
role of the Cabells and other early settlers along the James.

It also looks like a great opportunity for outings, as there are various
events along the way..music, etc.

I hope this is of interest.

Best Regards,

Janet (Baugh) Hunter