From:
Tameka Hobbs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2008 14:15:19 -0500
Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A More Perfect Constitution: 23 Proposals to Revitalize Our Constitution and
Make America a Fairer Country by Larry Sabato

Time: 5:30PM–7:30PM

Place: The Library of Virginia, 800 E. Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia

FREE EVENT

Is the U.S. Constitution really fair? In his new book, A More Perfect
Constitution: 23 Proposals to Revitalize Our Constitution and Make America a
Fairer Country, Larry Sabato grapples with this important question. Within its
pages, he lays out the case for the revision of one of America’s founding
documents, noting that this vast and complex nation has outgrown many of
the Constitution’s regulations. A More Perfect Constitution presents twenty-
three creative and dynamic proposals to reinvigorate American governance.
Combining idealism and pragmatism, Sabato's ideas include thoughts on the
structure of Congress, the length of the president's term, the number and
terms of Supreme Court justices, and imperfections in the Electoral College, as
well as a call for universal national service. But just as compelling as the ideas
themselves is Sabato's explication of how our system actually works, lifting
the cover to reveal all the gears and levers of government in action—a
fascinating lesson in civics that should engage Americans everywhere.

Larry Sabato is the Robert Kent Gooch Professor of Politics at the University of
Virginia. A former Rhodes Scholar and Danforth Fellow, he is the author of
more than twenty books and numerous essays on the American political
process, including The Sixth Year Itch: The Rise and Fall of the George W.
Bush Presidency in 2007.

A limited amount of free parking is available under the building.

www.lva.virginia.gov
804.692.3900