From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2006 14:42:35 -0500
Given the relatively low profile to-date of Jamestowne 2007 specifics, you may be interested in the next step of what I have come to realize is The Definitive CD of Music from the Jamestown Centenary Celebrations -- 1807, 1907 and 2007.

A couple of weeks hence, (the evening of Dec 2 to be precise), David Diggs and the Lehigh University Wind Ensemble will kick off four days of recording sessions with a concert in the performance hall at Lehigh.  This concert will be recorded live, and will feature the key selections of the CD.

I feel humble that it will open with my march The Trumpeter of Jamestowne.  But of course it was Bly Straub's note nearly a year ago about the APVA finiding a trumpet mouthpiece down there that started the whole thing.

The 1907 music will be represented by two groups:  (1) Full Wind Ensemble playing four selections including The Official March of the 1907 Exposition, 'March of the Powhatan Guards', by Wm Wall Whiddit,  The Peacemaker March, dedicated to Teddy Roosevelt who opened the Exposition and at the end dispatched 'The Great White Fleet' for its round-the-world trip, and Sousa's Powhatan's Daughter March  and (2) a re-created brass band of the early 20th century playing a couple of marches written for the 1907 exposition.

With the exception of the Sousa march, none of the other music has probably been heard for 100 years -- certainly not these arrangments which have been created specifically for the CD recording.

The above notwithstanding, there are two more offerings on the program which are even more significant, both arranged by David Diggs.

The 1807 Jamestowne Jubilee.  This is a collection of the original music and toasts given at that celebration.  A conftumed narrator will offer about ten toasts, each one followed by a short selection by the re-created 'Capt. Nestle's Norfolk Artillery Band.'  The band will be the military band of that day -- a pair each of oboes, clarinets, natural (no valves) horns, and bassoons, and represents our best guess of the composition of Nestle's band.   The complete program of 1807 toasts and music probably has not been performed for two hundred years.

Suite for Band of James Horner's Music from the movie, The New World.  In Horner's own words, after hearing David Diggs' arrangement of this music, it is 'thrilling.'  This will be the world premier of the music arranged for wind band, and I think will be one of the high points of the CD.  You may recall that the music and the scenery stood out in an otherwise rather pedestrian movie.

The concert is at 8 PM Saturday, Dec 2 in the concert hall on the Lehigh campus in Bethlehem, PA.

Over the next several days, additional recording sessions will pick up another 20-30 minutes of music and smooth out any clams or coughs which may have found their way into the live recording.  Editing, mixing and production will follow, and we hope to have the CDs available for distribution by late January or early February 2007.

Needless to say, I am very excited about the whole project.  The CD will not only be a high-quality production of historical music itself, but will be priced well below the going rate for such offerings..... $12 instead of the more standard $15--$16.

Randy Cabell
The Trumpeter of Boyce