From:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2005 13:51:04 -0400
If I may toss in a few more cents into this issue:  The point made that
the celebration is supposed to "be about Yorktown" is precisely why the
exclusion of some participants is so troubling -- obviously to
descendants of those who were there but are overlooked -- like Anita's
ancestor - but for all of us as well.  Many people will get their
knowledge of Yorktown -- or any other event -- from just this sort of
public commemoration so it really is paramount that the NPS "get it
right" and to argue that it is "not intentional" when they fail, is a
poor excuse.  It is our responsibility as folks who care about history
to press the case.

David Kiracofe

David Kiracofe
History
Tidewater Community College
Chesapeake Campus
1428 Cedar Road
Chesapeake, Va 23322
>>> [log in to unmask] 10/09/05 1:33 PM >>>
Yes, I guess you would be bothered by me bringing up something that
makes you uncomfortable. That statement you made about  unsubstantiated
claims in my emails, is general and vague, which emails, which claims? I
know that as a person of color, I am supposed to suck it up, so what if
many of those who fought at The Siege of Yorktown are excluded from
history? The fact is Colonial Yorktown is supposedly a Government
agency, supported by all taxpayers. It is supposed to represent an
accurate history, and include all of the participants.

I do understand your discomfort at my response to your announcement. I
should have started a new thread, and apologize for that.

Anita

-- John Maass <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
But does this mean that, as Anita has concluded, that the NPS and other
organizers have launched an intentional "attempt to ignore those who
fought and died for America."
I hardly think so; it is one more example of unsubstantiated claims that
run through her e-mails.
I think there should be an interp. of all those who fought there at
Yorktown.
I object to the separate but equal approach though.

To subscribe, change options, or unsubscribe, please see the
instructions