From:
Sharon Peery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 2008 16:49:28 -0500
This strikes me as anachronistic.  Sir Francis Drake was
a pirate too, you know.  One of the ways early govern-
ments dealt with insufficient funds to create an adequate
navy was to issue letters of marque and to set the whole
thing up as a free enterprise.  ( With all of the private contractors
presently operating in Iraq, we seem to be returning to that era.)

As for Nat Turner, Gabriel etc., just how were slaves
who objected to slavery supposed to respond?  There
were certainly no legal routes for them to pursue, and
they sometimes responded with what seems to us
"mindless violence," in the great tradition of the European peasant
uprisings.  I too am a fan of Douglas
Egerton's book on Gabriel's rebellion, and it should be
noted that Mr. Egerton contends that Gabriel was very
much influenced by the rhetoric of the Jeffersonian
party around the 1800 elections.