From:
Ray Terry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:22:24 EDT
In a message dated 6/26/2007 5:03:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I haven't gotten the original Plecker message, but I'll ask anyway -- who
> is/was Plecker?  --Sally

Plecker is convenient to beat on because his work is very accessible and, for
many, his quotes stir the blood, e.g., "Some of these mongrels, finding that
they have been able to sneak in their birth certificates unchallenged as
Indians, are now making a rush to register as white."

and are paradigms for racism as practiced in the early 20th century.

Here are some more links to information about Mr. Plecker.

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=101398&ran=162825

http://xroads.virginia.edu/%7ECAP/POCA/POC_law.html

http://www.mitsawokett.com/Plecker.htm

B&R Terry