From:
Clara Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:08:49 -0800
I might be able to eat a fig if the insides didn't look so yucky.  We had a fig tree in our back yard in Phoenix and when they were really ripe, they made GREAT splattering projectiles when we were at war with the kids next door.  The only problem was that they had chinaberries and those things HURT.

Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  Ours was not technically an ice box, but that's what we called it.
Tradition, y'know. Daddy used to talk about "old man Foushee", I
thought he was someone from his youth, not till many years later did
I find out he was the first mayor of Rich'mun. We ate pomegranates
right off the bush of our next door neighbor, so until the recent fad
I seemed to be the only person around who knew what pomegranates
were. Grow a fig bush yourself! Fresh anything is always better than
store-bought [I grow my own pineapples]. I'd say they have more cold-
tolerant varieties of figs now, but with global warming, that might
not be a worry. I had a friend who grew up in New-pert News, he
commented on how rarely it snowed down there, the kids would take
their sleds and sled down the slopes beside the highways. Right
through the kudzu. Which led me to make a joke- you know you're a
Southerner when... your sled runners have grass stains on them.

Anyone remember the wonderful Climax ginger ale sign on Belle Isle,
beside the Lee Bridge? I hope someone preserved it somewhere, it was
beautiful. And there was the 'singing bridge', now gone, it used to
say 'hurry up and get off me, hurry up and get off me' when you drove
over it. I went out with my daughter, then a toddler, for a final
picture on the bridge, before they tore it down.

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone