Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2008 13:17:19 -0500
Diana Bennett wrote:
> Dear Listers:
>
> Re digital cameras vs. copying. Doesn't moving those heavy books and turning them upside down and flat on a copy machine-- do more damage than taking a digital camera?
>
> Diana Bennett

Yes it does, but there are some things one should be aware of when doing
copy work with cameras. In order to get a good copy the best thing to do
is open the book and leave the side not being copied propped up so as
not to have to contend with the unevenness in the area of the book's
gutter. Also care has to be taken to make sure that the light is even
across the whole page. The best thing to do is use a copy stand or
tripod if one is available.

I've been a professional photographer, in addition to a now-retired
college English professor, for some fifty years and I can say with
certainty that the new digital age has brought enormous advances to all
kinds of photo work.  For the absolute best, use a fairly high quality
digital camera and a copy stand or tripod and learn to edit in
Photoshop, a program that has a high learning-curve but gives
breathtaking results when compared with working in a chemical darkroom.
What I'm saying here applies more to copying pages with images on them
or pages that'll be published as an accompaniment or illustration of
some sort rather than a page containing print only. For the latter, any
kind of copy that renders the print readable will suffice. And, yes, the
book from which the copying is being done will suffer less damage than
opening it on a copy machine. The only caveat here is be sure to have
the camera as close to the page being copied as possible. As Robert
Capa, the famous combat photographer from the last century said: "If
your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."

Happy Snappin'

Maurice Duke