From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2008 00:30:37 -0400
Stephen,

You may be right, but I wonder about the designation "Founding Fathers" and
whether it is as inclusive in your mind as it is in people who were educated
in other states. What about Governor Clinton in New York who battle the
tories in his state hot and heavy to keep the new nation from becoming an
aristocracy instead of a true democracy? What about the brave men from New
England who did the actual fighting in the Revolutionary War. I've read some
reports that do not credit Washington with great military gifts - I once
told a class of first graders about a little story that Washington had a
special uniform made to attend the Continental Congress to improve his
chancs of being named Commander of the forces, along with the other more
usual details. The next week when the class was to put into a powerpoint
what they knew of each of the Famous Americans we'd discussed, one boy, who
was asked to provide the text for Washington, said with the clear surety of
a little one, that Washington became General because he had the best looking
uniform. Sometimes the real gems of history spill forth from the rosy,
innocent lips of our children!

BTW, in some parts of the country, the identity of the woman who made the
first American flag is controversial. Again, the evidence that it was Betsy
Ross was handed down in oral history which does not suit all historians. I
don't know that they have proposed any other instead of Ms Ross, but I've
seen some ugly comments about historial "proofs" in that controversy as well
as this one.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert