Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 17:29:51 -0600
You're being a bit harsh in your "studied" assessment.

Most of the debt Thomas Jefferson was incumbered with derived from
two sources :

1) He assumed the debts of his father-in-law
2) He spent many years focusing his attention on the development of the
democracy we now enjoy...and giving to the American Revolution (you
remember the Army of the Potomac don't you ?) ....rather than lavishing
his time and money on his own estate.

Oh...and all those fine books of his ? He donated them to the democracy
for which we stand...they were the beginnings of the Library of Congress.

~malinda