From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 May 2005 15:24:07 -0400
The implication of this is that the English legal tradition of the "open
range" applied early on in Virginia.  That is, it was the responsibility of
farmland and pasture owners to fence out cattle and hogs, which were
permitted to feed on the open range.

This tradition was changed by passage of fence law legislation by the
Conservative Party government in the early 1870s ( I can't put my hands on
Jack Maddex's excellent Virginia Conservatives right now so I cannot be more
precise.)

I am wondering whether there are articles or books on this subject--land
law, cattle law, fence law--for colonial and antebellum Virginia.  I would
appreciate any references.

Harold S. Forsythe
Golieb Fellow
New York University, School of Law