From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2007 18:39:18 -0700
I have read several accounts of slaves purchasing their freedom with their
own money.  Most of the accounts I read were in Virginia an Maryland.
Sometimes the slaves would purchase their freedom and their families
freedoms. Several accounts were of slaves working on projects during the off
season (usually when they were not planting or picking crops), of
plantations. This was especially true if the slave had a skill (such as
blacksmith, bricklaying etc.), that was in demand.

When I first saw the title Jefferson's soap, I thought now that will not
generate much interest. It has turned out to be a very interesting, and
informative post. Now that is what keeps me coming back (smile).

Anita

>From: James H Hershman <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Jefferson's soap
>Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:20:10 -0400
>
>There are several excellent essays on the slave economy,in North America
>and the Caribbean, in "Part Three" of _Cultivation and Culture: Labor and
>the Shaping of Slave Life in the Americas_ed. by Ira Berlin and Phil
>Morgan, Univ. Press of VA, 1993. The slave's economy was a more significant
>part of the overall economy than many might assume. Important in many ways
>to the slaves, not only in an economic sense.
>
>Jim Hershman

Picture this – share your photos and you could win big!
http://www.GETREALPhotoContest.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM&loc=us