Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2007 10:20:51 -0400
> Doug wrote: "I don't think the "tectonic" metaphor is apt. Change is
> usually more piecemeal and complex than that."

I don't know, Doug, I think the profound changes that took place in this
country and elsewhere in the west (and the world) were almost sudden.
Certainly a lot faster than it used to take for major societal changes to
occur.
I think that was because of technology.......transportation, television,
radio, movies, the mainstreaming of popular music and its accessability and,
now of course, the internet . What might have taken a century or so to make
its way into the fabric of society can now do so in minutes!
I was wondering if anyone would bring in the race/integration/segregation
issue in response to my post.
Lord knows this is not about race or racism or really how anyone views right
and wrong. I was simply trying to explain how we got to this place where we
are even discussing the term "political correctness" and I was using our
history as an example. As Neil wrote, political correctness has been around
a longer time than we have and I suppose every age has had its own version
of it.
Political correctness covers a wide area and race is only one part of it.
Race is only one aspect of it and one that I would probably be described as
politically correct concerning (the pathology of unwed mothers and out of
wedlock children not withstanding; besides an unwed, welfare mother can be
of any race).
There are many other areas of political correctness besides the racial one
and the southern thing.

Your old friend in Virginia,
Deane