From:
Holly Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2006 08:34:17 EDT
The Vanishing Virginian, set in Lynchburg/Bedford County, originally a novel,
later also made into a movie.  Depicts central Virginia ca. early twentieth
century.

Sharyn McCrumb novels (Elizabeth McPhearson is primarly Virginia; the
Appalachian ballad novels focus on the east Tennessee/western North
Carolina/southwest Virginia mountains)

The Felicity stories published by American Girl?  This is children's
historical fiction, yet many young girls today first encounter revolutionary Virginia
through this character

Shadows of the Blue Ridge, and other novels by Carolyn Feagans

Marching Through Culpeper, by Virginia Morton

Time and Time Again, by Dennis Danvers

Mistress Nancy, by Barbara Bentley

To the Far Blue Mountains, by Louis L'amour, along with other novels of the
early Sackett series

These just illustrate how the people, historical characters-real and created,
and events of Virginia have long captured the fascination of authors in a
variety of historical periods and genres.  I'm stopping here so as to resist the
temptation to pillage my personal library!

Holly Mills
Amherst, VA