From:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:15:23 -0400
Guilds -- where to begin?

A guild was a local organization of the people (mostly men) who were
engaged in a specific craft: shoemaking, weaving, baking, etc.  They were
created to control competition among their members and as such they could
control wages and hours for journeyman workers and their apprentices;
they also determined individual output and so controlled supply and
prices.  They controlled who could belong -- as chartered institutions
they had law and tradition on their side in preventing anyone from just
opening shop.  They were not like a modern union at all in that they were
really associations of mastercraftsmen -- not the laborers.  They did
have some elements of fellowship in that they were supportive of their
membership and families.

All of this of course is an ideal -- the realities would be somewhat
different by the seventeenth century when England was in the throes of
the commercial revolution.  Guilds were under pressure from entrepreneurs
who lived outside of their respective jurisdictions and who fed a growing
demand for goods.  By the 18th century, there would be even greater
pressures brought by the introduction of industrial/mechanical innovations.

As to this "formula" for parcelling out sons into the world, I think this
should be taken with a grain of salt.  Bruce was trying to set up an
analysis of the social origins of a certain class of Virginians, not
necessarily to define the nature of English society.  I mean, if one
really had a "landed estate" to pass on, would one relegate even the
youngest son to a life in a vulger trade?

David Kiracofe
College of Charleston

David Kiracofe