From:
john pearce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 15:57:44 -0500
At the Charlottesville site they use a hyphen:
Ash Lawn-Highland
and my recollection is that their web site has a large amount of land
history.  My recollection is that Monroe used both "Highland" and "The
Highlands" to refer to the farm.

Oak Hill, privately owned, is off Route 15 west of Leesburg in Loudoun
County, near the town of Aldie.

I'm sending a copy to the editor of The Papers of James Monroe, Dan
Preston, in case he has more information.

John
John Pearce
Director, James Monroe Museum and Memorial Library
Mary Washington College
Fredericksburg, VA