From:
Kevin Joel Berland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 07:59:51 -0500
This debate has generated some curious statements, especially in this most recent personal comment.  It is surely not necessary to be a part of a collective group of people to study, analyze, and understand them--to say otherwise is mere essentialism, a position that makes the practice of history impossible.  A second problem occurs when people native to or resident in Virginia claim to speak for today's Virginians, as if there were one homogenous mass of Virginians (rather than many subdivisions with differing experiences and opinions), and as if they spoke for the entire mass.  And a third problem originates with a conflation of feeling and understanding.  Historians are concerned with what happened, how it happened, and why it happened, and less with how people may now feel about it.  Discussions of historical patterns should not be construed as telling you how to feel.  The analogy--that nobody else in the world should tell people in the U.S. how to feel about the terror!
 ist attacks of September 11--is beside the point.  Nobody has any business doing so.  However, this does not mean that international scholars have nothing to contribute about the historical patterns that have given rise to islamist terrorism and to the identification of the United States as a worthy target.  That claim, implicit in the complaint attached below, would rule out all free discussion and erect isolationist boundaries of discourse--the same claim is made by the strictures against the impertinent views of non-Virginians.  And finally, the comment is phrased in contemptuous language of the sort designed to discredit writers without addressing the content of what they have written--calling their contributions &quot;pontificating&quot; and so forth.  Having followed this discussion for days, it remains unclear why some participants are so defensive, and why they feel personally threatened by discussion of the past and its errors and follies.  Virginia is not unique i!
 n having errors and follies in its past; such is the nature of!
  history
.  To discuss events in Virginia's past in a negative light is not the same thing as demonizing Virginia and traducing its modern citizens.

Cheers -- Kevin Berland