From:
Walter Waddell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2011 12:58:24 -0400
The tiny hamlet, Port Republic located just North of Grottoes and South East
of Harrisonburg, is on the confluences of North and South River that flow
from there to make up the South Fork of the Shenandoah; and, as I have been
told, is so named because of its use as the starting point for the transport
of timber and hides being forwarded to Washington, D. C. as late as the
1880's.

Rafts were built and sold upon delivery of the goods and the boatmen walked
back to Port Republic from their adventure.