Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:35:11 -0500
Sure--this is fair enough.  But is anyone here seriously arguing the contrary?

It is widely acknowledged that various peoples in Africa participated in the slave trade, and that large numbers of Africans were enslaved by other Africans.  No credible historian today argues otherwise.

But so what?  How does this fact in any way reduce the moral culpability of those English or American persons who purchased slaves?

Slavery is repugnant not just by any arbitrary set of ethical standards, but rather when judged by the standards of English and American political and constitutional values, to which I would hope everyone in this conversation is committed.  The fact that people in Africa, who lived by other standards, committed (what are in my view) morally reprehensible actions in no way or fashion lets my ancestors off the hook.  *My* ancestors violated their *own* standards.  So did everyone who owned slaves who was also a citizen of the United States of America.