From:
Anthony Santoro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2007 07:36:49 +0100
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  I always thought it was a telling choice on the
> part of the founders to depart from the assertion made in the Articles
> of Confederation which aimed at a "perpetual union" -- the founders were
> content to aspire merely to a "more perfect union."

I actually read that line quite differently, but for precisely the same
reason. I read the "more perfect" Union as a step up from simply
"perpetual;" I understand the Preamble to mean that it is still a perpetual
Union, simply a better one. Given the context of the possibility of the
Union -- such as it was -- splintering into smaller, regional confederacies,
and the desire in the Annapolis-to-Philadelphia process to prevent that, why
would the "perpetual" have been assumed to be dropped by these men?

Anthony Santoro