Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 15:05:33 EST
Then why did New England want to leave the Union in 1812....not over slavery.
I'm not saying the slavery was not part of the equation I think there other
issues like taxes..trade tariffs, and this issue of slavery. The North was
becoming economically stronger than the South...industry and the growth on a
"free Labor" ( which in some cases was worse than the situation slaves found
themselves in) meant the North would be the power....the North would then
dictated the prices of capital goods which the South needed..dictated
interest rates on loans...etc.. Frankly I think if the war had never come the
South would moved away from slavery has a labor source as it becomes too
expensive to maintain.

WC Buser