Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:28:17 -0400
Blacks served in the confederacy as laborers, not soldiers.  Robert E. Lee on
many occasions tried to persuade Jefferson Davis to allow black soldiers in the
confederacy.  Davis acknowledged that to allow blacks to serve in the
confederacy would have defeated the purpose of why the South seceded in the
first place.  And there was no way that blacks were going to be given weapons.
Yes, there were black slave owners in the South.  But you will find that most of
those slaves that were owned by those blacks were family members, ensuring that
their family could not be sold away from them.  So many of these books claiming
that blacks served in the confederacy have doctored images.  Soldiers from
northern troops, in both photographs and illustrations, have been doctored to
make them appear as confederate soldiers.  This is documented and fact.

Teaching history means that you need to do the footwork and do the research to
verify what is in a book, before you teach it in the classroom as gospel.

As history teachers it is our responsibility to teach fact, not fiction, or
revisionist history.  Using primary sources ensures that you teach history as it
happened.  So if you can find actual primary sources that support Confederate
black soldiers, with weapons, not shovels, then use that in the classroom to
discuss the topic.  And ask yourself, why would any SLAVE fight for someone who
was holding them in captivity.  Fighting to stay as a piece of property?

I can provide you with plenty of examples from captured Confederate records at
the National Archives that show blacks being used as laborers during the Civil
War.  Have found absolutely no documents in Confederate records that even
mentions blacks as soldiers.

Karen Needles
Director
Lincolnarchives Digital Project