From:
"Finkelman, Paul <[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2012 14:40:55 +0000
abolition may not have been an official war aim before Sept. 1862 but slaves were being freed by May 1861 and the first confiscation act (July 1861) authorized freeing some slaves.
The Fortress Monroe argument is strong -- Ben Butler begins emancipation early on and set the stage for the EP.

Paul Finkelman, Ph.D.
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, NY 12208

518-445-3386 (p)