From:
Mary Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 20:49:05 -0500
Thank you to everyone who answered concerning the Curles in James River.  I went to google as well, and learned a great deal--about Curles Neck, Curles Neck Plantation, Curles family of New Kent County.  In modern times, the Curles Neck Farm, Curles Neck Archaeological site, Curles Neck Hunt Club, Deep Bottom Park between Curles Neck and Varina Plantations, etc.  Also learned that the rebel Nathanial Bacon lived at Curles Neck.  Now I have two more questions raised by all this information.  Was this area named for a family named Curles?  Also, John Woods was said to be born in Curles, Henrico County, Virginia, and Thomas Jefferson's parents married in Curles, James River, Henrico, Virginia in 1677.  This makes it sound as if there was a town named Curles--surely these people were not born and married at the plantation!  Or did they, in the 17th century, simply refer to the whole area as Curles?  Thanks again.  Mary Miller