From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2007 22:52:53 -0500
I came across a Cardwell in the late 1700s who married "Betty Brown,
colored" and her mother was "Kitty Brown." Totally unscholarly, I
know, but I like to wonder what deep love they shared, to defy
society and be married like they were. As I understand it, that title
could mean anything from all or a very small part African or Indian
or anything else not wholly white. Am I correct on this? I have been
unable to find anything else about this couple, maybe they moved out
to more remote areas, if their marriage was not well received. [but I
find, in courthouse records, that in the 18th century there were a
surprising number of interracial marriages in Virginia]. There are
some Cardwells said to be "melungeon", and much speculation in the
genealogy groups exactly what this means, but I wonder if at least
part of it might be traced back to William Cardwell and his wife
Betty Brown. I believe the so-called melungeon Cardwells appear in
NC. More needs to be done to find out where they came from, and if
they were descended from William and Betty.

Off the subject, but does anyone know what the term "spinster" means
on a marriage bond? I take it they were older, unmarried women as
none seem to have a father named, as was usual. In Petersburg, around
the time of the War of 1812, for some reason a lot of men were
suddenly marrying a lot of "spinsters." Trying to protect their
properties with a war on their doorstep, and them being marched off
to fight, perhaps? I've never noticed it anywhere else so much as I
did at Petersburg.

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone