From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2007 02:41:12 GMT
This reminds me of a nasty message I received from someone who was
upset that I made a statement about being related to George
Washington. At first he politely asked a question, but the next
message showed just how ignorant this person is. He said that George
Washington had NO Negroes in his family line. I guess he had me mixed
up with the person who said they were a direct descendant of
Washington. My truth comes from the DNA test that I took (through
family tree DNA), my research, and those who contacted me (DNA
cousins), once the results were released. Nothing that I stated
changes George Washington, or his accomplishments. It is what it is!!

Anita
-- Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
my recollection was not that he was the "father of his country"
because
he may not have been able to father children, but rather, the sign on
Inns dating back to that period "George Washington slept here" had a
larger meaning (wink wink).  But, we should remember that the founders
were neither puritans (except maybe John Adams in spirit) nor
Victorians.  What we know of Jefferson, Hamilton, Burr, and Franklin
illustrates that.

Paul Finkelman
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
     and Public Policy
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, New York   12208-3494

518-445-3386
>>> [log in to unmask] 05/21/07 9:55 PM >>>
When I was in school in the 60's the worm was starting to turn
regarding
our
attitudes toward historical figures. I recall the rather cutesy
remark,
"We
all know that George Washington  fathered more than just our
country."
Wink. Wink.
Well. He most probably did not father anyone or anything except this
country....if you happen to accept him as the grand patriarch of the
hagiography of yesteryear.
This is a minor example of how stuff gets started, is bandied about
classrooms without a shred of evidence and works its way into history.

DF Mills
York County, VA