From:
Katharine Harbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 09:27:30 -0500
The term, "servant" or "indentured servant," in the 17th-century held a
different meaning - I believe it was used in the context of an
"employee" instead of a "servant" as we know it today.  This was why
Adam Thorowgood was described both as a "servant" (employee) and a
gentleman.  Many younger sons of nobility came to Virginia as
"indentured servants," and no stigma was attached to it.  The more
modern meaning of "servant" only came later.