From:
"Wilmer L. Kerns" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 22:57:14 -0500
The Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike was built in 1848, which was the general
path of US Route 250, today. It did go from Staunton through Monterey,
Huttonsville, Beverly, Buckhannon and Weston to Parkersburg.

You will be interested in in knowing about a 4-CD audio history that was
recently produced by the Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike Alliance. Vol 1 deals
with early settlement, the route, westward expansion, surveying and
construction, the wagon era, the towns; tolls, maintenance and politics;
imported labor, bridges and the coming of the War. It is absolutely
fascinating; I have listened to the CDs at least a half-dozen times. The
superb background music was produced by people associated with the Augusta
Heritage Center at Davis & Elkins College. You will hear live oral history,
and Beverly is very much a center of attention on these four CDs. Michael
Kline (PhD Georgetown Univ.) and his wife Carrie are the narrators.

I have no business interest in the CDs nor with any of the producers. I am
an enthusiastic purchaser and consumer. I bought mine from the bookstore at
Davis & Elkins College, and plan to buy more for gifts. You might find
additional information at their website:

http://spturnpike.org/learn.htm

Wilmer L. Kerns