From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2008 23:35:49 -0400
Steven,

To clarify, the reference to "white guilt" was something someone on this
list accused me of trying to assauge. Actually, I have less "guilt" than
many since a cousin who maintains the geneology for our generation, said
that our family was involved with the Underground Railroad.

If I don't get email from Fort Monroe in the next few weeks, I'll be sure to
sign up again.

I think it is wise of you to refer to the ex-slaves just as Americans. I
should adopt the same convention.

It is unfortunate that women still have to "stick up for" other women
whether in the present or in the past, but as you have seen, the remarks
about Sally Hemings have gotten pretty far away from recognizing her as a
woman as well as a human being. In the back of my mind, I am wondering if
the fact that Sally never married or seemed to have a significant
relationship with another slave, may be another one of those
"circumstantial" evidences some prefer to dismiss as "unprovable".

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org