From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2007 20:08:58 -0700
Kevin,
Thank you for this insight regarding the Indian Schools. I have a letter
written by the headmaster of the College of William & Mary. He is not
writing to the Indian Chiefs, but he is referring to them. He was basically
making a statement of how he could get the Indian Chiefs to send their sons
to the school. I believe Reverend Rodham Kenner was the Headmaster mentioned
in my document (which I do not have in front of me). It appears that the
Kenners had a missionary school near Spotsylvania County as well.  I am
researching the Kenners because they showed up on my Lewis lines out of King
George & Spotsylvania County.

Anita

>From: Kevin Joel Berland <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Indian Schools
>Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 20:46:56 -0400
>
>According several (Anglo-Virginian)accounts, the school at Christanna among
>the
>Saponi was probably a relatively pleasant experience, if only because the
>teacher, Rev. Charles Griffin, I believe, was well-loved by the students
>and
>community.  The Indian school at William and Mary was different, even
>though
>Griffin eventually taught there as well.  It was one of the principal
>recipients of the philanthropic legacy of the scientist Robert Boyle
>(largely
>through the intervention of Commissary Blair).  In one sense the placement
>of
>children in this school had a diplomatic purpose: part of the agreement
>with
>"Tributary Indians."  Ostensibly the Anglo-Virginians were offering the
>Indians
>the best things on offer: education in the Christian religion and English
>culture.  Another way of looking at the arrangement would be to view the
>children as diplomatic hostages, although the nations whose children went
>the W&M school were allied with, not antagonistic to, the Anglo-Virginian
>community.
>
>In the colonial times, it would have been impossible for legislators and
>educators to think of the Indians as anything else but heathens and
>savages.
>Whether this meant that the young men were treated badly does not
>necessarily
>follow.  Indeed, considering the diplomatic ramifications, it would have
>been
>stupid to treat them badly.  I haven't yet come across any first-hand
>accounts,
>either from students or teachers, though there may well be some material
>out
>there.
>
>It may be interesting to note that William Byrd II observed with some
>regret
>that the education did not stick.  As soon as the young men returned to
>their
>people, they nearly always reverted to traditional ways.
>
>Later schools, however, under the assimilationist philosophy, were
>scandalously
>cruel, contemptuous, and deracinating. The Indian School at Carlisle,
>Pennsylvania, was a notorious example.  And at some point in the late 19th
>or
>early 20th century the government delegated the job of educating Indian
>children to Roman Catholic and protestant missionary groups. Their mission
>was
>to strip the children of their language, customs, religious beliefs, and
> [...]

Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You’ll love Windows Live
Hotmail.
http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_outlook_0507