From:
Richard Dixon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 2011 17:56:31 -0500
Some examples of Jefferson's attitude, as alluded to by Professor
Hardwick, were expressed by Jefferson as early as 1791. See his letter
to Banneker  of August 30, 1791 "Nobody wishes more than I do to see
such proofs as you exhibit, that nature has given to our black brethren,
talents equal to those of the other colors of men, and that the
appearance of a want of them is owing merely to the degraded condition
of their existence."

Then in 1809, his letter to Henri Gregoire,/**/*/of February 25, 1809
"My doubts [about the abilities of blacks] were the result of personal
observation on the limited sphere of my own State, where the
opportunities for the development of their genius were not favorable,
and those of exercising it still less so. I expressed them therefore
with great hesitation; but whatever be their degree of talent, it is no
measure of their rights"

Then, his letter of August 25, 1814 to Edward Coles "My opinion has ever
been that, until more can be done for them, we should endeavor, with
those whom fortune has thrown on our hands, to feed & clothe them well,
protect them from ill usage, require such reasonable labor only as is
performed voluntarily by free men, and be led by no repugnances to
abdicate them, and our duties to them."
/

//*Richard Dixon Editor Jefferson Notes 571-748-7660