From:
John Kneebone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:40:12 -0400
In regard to question number one, I was just listening to an interview with
the historian James M. McPherson, originally on the Organization of American
Historians' "Talking History" radio show (for more information:
http://www.oah.org/activities/talkinghistory), and McPherson used the figure
600,000 for the Civil War's casualties. I don't know if it should be larger
or smaller than that, but I expect that it would be hard to get a number
more exact than at that level of generality.

John

John T. Kneebone [log in to unmask]
Virginia representative, OAH Membership Committee (shameless plug)
Acting Director, Virginia Center for the Book
Director, Publications and Educational Services
Library of Virginia http://www.lva.lib.va.us